+918 -24,519

It’s been several months since I’ve last written a blog post so I was revisiting my site this week. I noticed there were some security alerts in GitHub so I decided to upgrade various dependencies to resolve them. To my surprise, this actually broke Remix’s router and resulted in exception explosions whenever I wanted to navigate to any page.

Normally, I’d be more than happy to start debugging what the heck was going on, but I just wasn’t having it that day. I wanted my site to be a joyful little codebase where I push some Markdown and pages get published. This was making it turn into a headache instead.

So I migrated my site back to Jekyll which resulted in 918 lines of code added and 24,519 removed. Now, just to clarify, this is not a post bashing Remix—Remix is a lovely framework. It was just staggering how much more code there was to look at and reason about.

For me at this moment in time, this migration sparked joy. The site is much easier to maintain, the HTML and CSS are valid, and there’s not a line of JavaScript in sight.