Migrating Rails from Postgres to SQLite
I recently migrated a personal Rails project off of Postgres and Redis (for Sidekiq and caching) to SQLite (powered by Litestack). I’ve been running this app on Fly.io powered by a handful of Docker containers for several months, and it’s been accumulating costs in the magnitude of medium American french fries every month. This has been, and remains to this day, a purely for-fun project, so I wanted to reduce costs as much as humanly possible. At the time of writing, Fly.io waives bills that are under the $5 USD mark, so I started brainstorming some ways of making this happen.
SQLite has had a resurgence in popularity as of late, and to my delight, I discovered Litestack which is an open-source Ruby gem that packages up all data-related infrastructure in SQLite. For Rails, it integrates with Active Record, Active Support, Active Job, and Active Cable which would remove my need for separate Postgres and Redis containers in my Fly.io infrastructure. After seeing how easy it looked to integrate into an existing project, I decided to give it a whirl.
Installation and revisiting the schema
Installing Litestack was pretty straightforward for a Rails project:
bundle add sqlite3
bundle add litestack
bin/rails generate litestack:install
Once the generator did its work, I then checked to see if I was able to load my existing schema into SQLite. Sadly, I wasn’t able to.
Up till this point, I was using Postgres UUIDs as the primary key for all of my tables, so I needed to tweak the schema to use default integer primary keys. I also discovered that Active Record array columns aren’t quite supported out-of-the-box, so something like:
t.string :my_array_column, default: , array: true
…won’t work with SQLite.
Since my previous migrations were all no longer compatible with SQLite and there were a handful of column types I needed to rethink, I decided to scrap all
db/migrate/*.rb files and start with a brand new migration. I referenced
db/schema.rb to scaffold out the bulk of what I needed, and started reading up on supported column types in SQLite.
As a replacement for array columns, turns out JSON types with a SQLite type constraint can be used:
t.json :my_array_column, default: 
t.check_constraint "json_type(my_array_column) = 'array'", name: "my_array_column_is_array"
So I went ahead and replaced all array types with this. I also had a handful of
t.jsonb columns for Postgres, but replaced them with
t.json for SQLite. It didn’t take long before I was able to create a schema that was compatible with the new database and my existing models.
Refactoring caching usage
Prior to Litestack, I was making heavy use of Kredis for caching. Migrating away from Kredis APIs to supporting
litecache was just a matter of switching to vanilla Rails APIs:
Kredis.flag("my_flag").mark(expires_in: 12.hours, force: false)
Rails.cache.write("my_flag", true, expires_in: 12.hours)
To ensure that my test and development environments were being tested with Litestack, I also needed to declare
litecache as the cache store in
config.cache_store = :litecache
Once I got to this point, my test suite was green again, and I was a pretty happy camper.
Migrating production data
The last bit of the puzzle was migrating production data. Getting production Postgres data into a production SQLite database was a bit tricky since this process involved changing primary key types and column types. I’m also making use of Active Record encryption in some models. That meant I couldn’t just export a SQL dump and import it into the schema.
So naturally, I exported each Postgres table into a CSV using the
psql -c "\copy table_name to '/path/to/export.csv' delimiter ',' csv header;" postgres://user:password@host:port/db_name
This preps the data in a format where I can easily consume it with a Rake task and import it into the new database, but I still needed to handle encrypted columns. I had some trouble figuring this out. I would have thought that importing the serialized object would let Active Record decrypt at runtime, especially considering the
active_record_encryption values in my
config/credentials.yml.enc weren’t touched.
Regrettably, I didn’t end up deep-diving into the nitty-gritty of Active Record encryption to uncover the root cause. I instead ended up exporting the decrypted column values into these CSVs to use in my Rake task, which worked, and I was happy with that for the time being. (I would like to poke around Active Record to learn how encryption is implemented at some point.)
Part of the magic of SQLite is that the database is literally just a file. I ended up using a Rake task on my local machine to import the production data and then SCP’d the database to my production container’s persisted volume.
SQLite is rock solid
After having migrated the app, I’m feeling pretty excited. Not only is the app still stable, but my production infrastructure is drastically simpler. I no longer have four containers for the app, Sidekiq, Postgres, and Redis. Instead, I just have one container with a persisted volume. It runs Rails and Litestack with a database, queue, and cache in three separate SQLite files on the volume. I’m able to run everything on a less powerful CPU, reduce RAM, and still have my app as snappy as before.
With projects like LiteFS and Litestream being actively worked on, the future of supporting Rails apps with SQLite replicas is looking promising. SQLite doesn’t just work for smaller projects—it can scale.
For my current needs, SQLite perfectly fit the bill. It supports my for-fun project in a much cheaper way, simplifies the infrastructure, and if I have to, scaling it up bit by bit doesn’t seem daunting at all.